FEDESSA European Annual Industry Report
FEDESSA’s 2021 Report has some seriously good insights into the self storage industry across Europe today, and we thought we’d take a look at some of the key points.
The tenth consecutive annual survey was carried out by the Federation of European Self Storage Associations (FEDESSA) among its member associations and their member companies in conjunction property advisers JLL.
The FEDESSA and JLL survey received responses from over 90 operators across 18 different European countries, operating almost 900 facilities and almost 3 million square metres of lettable space between them.
Here we take a look at some of the key findings:
- The number of staff per facility is continuing to fall with facilities only having on average 1.34 members of full time staff compared to 1.77 in 2015.
- 7% of facilities in FEDESSA’s dataset are now fully unmanned.
- Average European rent is €268.74 per square metre per annum. That’s 7% up from last year!
- Average occupancy in Europe is up from 79.8% to 81.5%, a 1.7% increase
- Nearly 50% of the facilities in FEDESSA’s dataset had occupancy levels of over 85%
- In 2021 FEDESSA estimate there are 5,173 self storage facilities offering 11m square metres of space in Europe
- The Top 10 European operators represent 18% of all facilities and 37% of all available space
- The six most ‘mature’ countries in Europe hold 78% of all facilities
- Outstanding rental rates of 30 days or more have dropped by 5% to only 3.7% despite the economic impact of the pandemic.
- 86% of operators surveyed expect improved profit expectations over the next 12 months, with 72% believing improved occupancy rates are on the cards
- The survey sample revealed 104 facilities are currently under construction, another 53 in the planning process, and 90 speculative
Want to read the full report?
Hop on over to FEDESSA.org to read the full report.
Download your FREE copy of Your Future In Self Storage here.